Saturday, November 28, 2009

Last year, a bunch of my friends went to Vegas to gather at a friend's parents' house for Thanksgiving, eat way too much food, drink a lot, and hit up the strip. I missed out because I had a wedding to go to. Not that I didn't enjoy seeing my friend get married, but I missed out on a good trip. I vowed to make it up this year.

This week I have been preparing my final week of Funemployment and I start back up at a job next week. Tuesday I drove down to San Pedro for the best meatball sandwich ever, ate lunch on the beach, and then walked around the aquarium that I used to volunteer for in high school. I forgot how much I liked that aquarium and sea life and how I wanted to be a marine biologist before I figured that was "too much" science and lost my way down the rabbit hole of the entertainment industry. Then I sort of wished that I had spent my 8 months of funemployment doing things like that instead of just sleeping or being lazy at home. But resting up should not be taken for granted either. It made me realize (yet again) that I shouldn't be afraid to do things because it seems like a hassle, or too time consuming, or something that I "shouldn't" be doing.

Awhile back my roommate sent me this quote:

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”


- Mark Twain


And I find that that's how I should try to live my life. That and not obsessing or being upset over the things that happened in the past I can't change. I have to pick myself up, learn from my mistakes and do better next time.

Thus, this weekend I find myself in Vegas. I spent Thanksgiving with my dad and even snuck in a black friday online shopping hour with Dre, a Bigfoot West visit (because there's always time for that), and then I packed up a few things (yes few, as in not enough, this is why I should always over pack!), and drove myself out to Vegas. Around Baldwin Park, I started to question it and wonder if it was really a "smart" idea because I had "things to do" at home. But I was a little too far to just turn around and go back. And then you're on that stretch of the 15 that NEVER seems to end and all of a sudden you see the Primm lights, and you finally find yourself in Vegas.

I forgot how fun it was to hang out with this group of friends. When we were around the craps table tripling our money, coming to Vegas this weekend was the best idea ever. We'll see how the rest of the weekend goes. But I have a plan...

1. Don't drink too much like you did on your birthday. And if you do, eat more than hummus and a smoothie. (Going to Burger Bar for dinner tonight!!)
2. Don't pull out extra money on your credit card because you want to gamble - the cash you brought was good enough for now... you'll be back in two weeks.
3. Don't lose (or break) your cell phone (or camera).
4. Stick with your gut feelings
5. Smile and have a good time.
6. Don't get a speeding ticket.

4 comments:

ben said...

You forgot:
7. Always bet on black.

Andrea said...

I fuckin' love Burger Bar.

jh said...

it's been a long time since you've updated! update!

Jean said...

i know!! sorrrrry.. i'm gonna try to get on this soon.