Thursday, May 07, 2009

So it's coming towards the end of week 2 here and I started to get a little bored last night. A little stir-crazy if you will. I managed to fight it by calling up my cousin and whereas I suggested bowling, we went to the batting cages instead, but it was Ladies' night and I got to play for free, so I guess I can't complain too much. It was nice hanging out with the cousin, and while he's kind of quiet, he'll answer pretty much any question I ask, and then we trade questions about how to say certain words in Chinese/English.


I finally got a chance to check out the Whisky Gallery by the place that I'm staying at. It'd pretty be Jaymie and Angelee's dream. It's not too shabby I will have to say and I had two drinks, both from Scotland, and wasn't going to complain. Although a little pricey - but I guess that's just what good drinking costs. It was around $12-$15 per glass, so not terrible. Kind of on par with a place like 7 Grand or something. But definitely a lot less fuss.

It's possible that I may be heading to Hong Kong and China next week, partially out of boredom, partially out of things working out just right timing wise, partially out of wanting to go exploring and thinking "when else am I going to get the chance?" I will really be draining my bank accounts (sort of) - but it might be well worth it. Especially if I end up at Hong Kong Disneyland - and although it's less fun to hang out there by my onesome, it's still Hong Kong Disneyland right?!

Random note: I was looking at some pictures and I'm reaaaally craving some good Mac n Cheese right now. I'm going to put that on my list of things to do when I get back (or Dre.. put that on our list!) along with Father's Office. Two musts.

Not too much else is "going on" that doesn't seem like normal life. I got a bit too much sun today (foolishly not putting on any sunblock of course..., plus I didn't factor in the swimming time in addition to the laying out time, so my arms/chest are so awful!) so I'm hoping I just turn to tan instead of peeling.



I went on this motorcycle ride and hiked up this mountain to get to this view. I can't say it was my first motorcycle ride, because I'm pretty sure that I've ridden on a bike when I was little and got burned by the tailpipe by putting my leg in the wrong spot. But my first "real"(?) ride. It was fun, and just through the city - so not like speed racing downhill on a Ducati or anything, but nice, despite the rain. It's definitely a nice way to "see the city" although probably more so if I was the driver and not the passenger. The hike was fun, a little (a lot) dark, but I got to see some fireflies and there weren't too many crawling things. Apparently there's a different place that has an even better view, but you have to go through this graveyard to get there? And just when I was going to face my fears to do it, the rain spoiled this little excursion of mine (it's a sign!). Regardless, I love views, and it kind of reminded me of Runyon Canyon, except you can't do Runyon @ night (is there any LA views you can get to at night? Shouldn't I know this?)

My sister has a food blog and while taking me around town has been re-visiting some places and collecting info for posts. I love her little organization skills and her notebook for cataloging everything, and i hope I'm not giving away too many of her secrets, but her book is kind of awesome. Plus you know, I don't mind being a guinea pig for all the stuff she wants to try. I'm still really curious about the Mexican food in Danshui! Hopefully I'll get to go on the weekends, and I also have to remind myself to have a Mos Burger before I go. Food I have had while I've been here includes: italian, pig intestine noodles, shaved ice, fresh made ice creams, yummy dumplings (both fried and not), mochi desserts, sausages off carts , burgers, corn dogs (not very good, don't get corn dogs in Taiwan), tofu/noodles/rice cakes off carts, paninis, korean food, chicken soup, green bean wraps and brunch. it runs the gamut of good to not so great and western food here doesn't really compare to california food at home, so i'm less inclined to eat american food here - but nothing has been super terrible. I haven't been to my favorite soup buns and beef noodle soup place yet, so I'm hoping for some of that soon. And Saturday we have a lunch at Din Tai Fong. There's a branch in Arcadia and apparently Chinese people of all sorts flock to it and exclaim how good it is, but I think is kind of overrated (you know me and hype), but maybe my mind will change come Saturday.


And finally, two of the cutest kids ever.

1 comment:

ben said...

Mos Burger is delicious! definitely have one :)