Friday, August 28, 2009


I get to tag along on Andrea's food truck mission to try all of the LA food trucks, so expect a full write up with better pictures from her. I took a few pictures with Snowball II, so I decided to post them too. On Wednesday night we got two in one hit as the Nom Nom Truck and Fishlips Sushi trucks were both at the new basecamp for trucks - The Brig in Venice. I've always loved food off trucks, and even more bacon wrapped hot dogs off carts (or sausages with sticky rice bun in Taiwan!). After the huge sensation of Kogi - the food truck business is SKYROCKETING. I read today that the restaurant Border Grill has a truck now too? And you can have a truck for everything - it's not just for mexican food anymore. Nom Nom is Vietnamese tacos and sandwiches, and Fishlips Sushi is.. well you guessed it, Sushi. Sushi off a truck? Seems kind of terrifying right? When I first heard about it, I kind of thought so too. I asked my sister if she wanted to try it, but she was turned off by the name alone (but she has a slight(MAJOR) phobia of fish). Some pictures looked okay, and I think I read that it was good - but didn't get to really try it until today. It's actually pretty good. Nothing super fancy like Asakuma or as involved as California Roll Factory, but the sushi was definitely up there, better than grocery store sushi, and not badly priced. And the Temari balls are so cute! We had their spicy tuna rolls and shrimp tempura rolls with assorted balls of sushi with ebi, yellowtail, salmon, unagi and tuna. Their menu features a ton more options, I didn't actually go up to the truck itself, so I'm not sure exactly how it works, if all the options are there each night. I might have to go back to try them all!

Nom Nom Truck was really good, and smelled SO fantastic. The food is good, but they take kind of forever to get you the food, and they ran out of Spring Rolls and Coffee VERY early on. They forgot a set of our tacos, but were really nice when we went back to get them. We did go on their opening night and they already blogged about trying to work out all the kinks. Food service is tough! Even tougher when it's mobile! But I'd definitely go back! I had the Grilled Pork Bahn Mi (Sandwich) and Lemongrass Chicken Tacos - both excellent. I am kind of sad that apparently Sam Trammell (plays Sam Merlotte) from True Blood (our most recent show obsession) was there and I didn't see him. I'm really bad at seeing celebrities, and you would think it would be so easy for me!

You should definitely try both of these if they're in your area. I wish I worked so that I could be excited when they were nearby and I have a real excuse to eat out. I just have to do it anyways. Next I want to try the Indian Food truck! And the Mos Burger likeness Marked 5!

1 comment:

joanh said...

i do want to try the nom nom truck. maybe if the sushi truck wasn't named fish lips. lol. you have to try the getshaved shaved ice truck. SO good