Wednesday, September 02, 2009

For a little while I had been craving desserts. Well really, all the time. Lately, it's been crepes. And while there are some places out there that have them, I've been spending a lot of time at home lately. Plus, I like cooking & baking, it's kind of therapeutic. There was a failed attempt at going to a dessert place on Monday night, and I had already had the craving for a bit, so I was like "Hey... I'm going to make crepes.. can't be that hard right?" I had heard a few horror stories about how it's not "that hard" but flipping them can be a b*tch and it takes lots of practice. And then I heard stories about how poaching eggs is ridiculously hard, and not that the two are related, but I was like "man... those French, they make everything difficult."


I set off on my foray to make some crepes. I googled a few recipes, and a lot of them had pictures of people rolling the crepe once it was done, so it looked like a wrap or a hand roll. Not that I had to do it, but based on principle, I didn't like those sites. haha, silly, I know. But they mostly had all the same ingredients: eggs, flour, milk - and various other small ingredients like sugar, salt, butter - and then sometime more of this, or less of that. I finally just picked one and started. The sucky part is that after you make the batter it has to chill 1 hour, so if you want to eat them at a certain time, make sure you make the batter in advance! I watched a youtube video of a guy making them, and it didn't seem tooooo difficult, and honestly, it wasn't. I think though that I made mine a little bit thicker, so maybe they were a tad easier to flip. Or maybe I'm just a good flipper, but it really wasn't that hard. I think if I could name the things I would improve on is making the crepe and little thinner, and less doughy, so less chewey? But maybe people like that. It tastes like the pancakes my dad used to make when I was little, so I think it's okay, but I guess I don't really know what a "true crepe" is supposed to taste like. I really mostly pay attention to the stuff inside. I feel like the could be a little more cakey, and then also there weren't quite as brown as the ones you buy, but they looked the same as the ones in the video, and if I cooked them too long, they'd get crispey around the edges. I really think it has to do with the batter. The one I used had more flour and less eggs - that could be the trick.


The very right picture at the top is *my very first crepe*! Nicole had the pleasure of eating it and she said it was good. I win. The last picture is my fourth crepe, I learned how to make it a little prettier by then. I didn't discover the awesomeness of nutella until very late in the game, I'd say after college. But I still really can only eat it in crepes, it seems weird on regular food like bread, although maybe I'll do some experimenting with it in baking! Oooh! Nutella and strawberries is always my go to for crepes, and sometimes I mix in bananas, but not today because I made myself a Jamba rip off of their Chunky Strawberry using Brennan's super blender. It's mostly strawberries, bananas, peanut butter, granola - and although mine was a little thinner than the version @ Jamba that you eat with a spoon, it was still tasty. I'm on a whole making yummy food kick! (next project: korean bbq potstickers! kogi don't steal my idea! or at least give me credit!) Anyhoo, I also made a butter/strawberry/maple syrup crepe for Dorina because she isn't the biggest chocolate fan (terrible! I know!) but she liked it, and liked the crepepancakes I made for breakfast this morning with the leftover batter. So yay! Success! I got to use my cute Mickey plates too. Go me.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Color me impressed! I mean, I knew you could do it, but on the first try? Pretty amazing!

Jean said...

thanks!!

joanh said...

wow! you made those? that's awesome. you'll have to make it for us next time. :)