Wednesday, October 28, 2009

On the top of my list of things that make me awkward is interacting with drivers in the next car over. Maybe it's a personal space issue, maybe it's a "don't talk to strangers thing" imbedded in me from when I was young, but I always think it's so weird making eye contact with people on the road in other cars.

In LA where so much of your time is spent in a car, it may rank up there as "places to meet people". Recently I was driving home from the valley and some guy started yelling at me and honking his horn to get attention. My windows were shut and I could still hear him. I maaaaybe would have turned to look if except A. He sounded 19, B. He was really obnoxious about it and that's not attractive, C. I was having a really shitty day and didn't want to deal with stupid people. Sometimes I think, "hey, maybe I should have given him a chance". He may have been the hottest guy I had seen in my life. But including all of the facts above, D. That's so awkward.

Today, I was driving to the AT&T store to get a new sim card and a pretty attractive man pulled up in a silver 4 runner. It was a nice hot 86 degrees out this fine Monday in October, so I was driving with my windows down. He pulled up and smiled at me and I half grinned back. I looked away and pretended to be really interested on something on my side of the street, the radio, my fingernails. Anything except looking at "pretty attractive man". Then I got the courage to take a better look at him and he thankfully was looking away. But then he started to turn his head and I immediately looked away. Yes, I'm a chicken. That's my zodiac sign, maybe it's in my blood. I could be totally wrong. Maybe he was just being nice. But I still imagine all the scenarios that could have happened and all the pretty attractive children we would have had had I maybe just tried a little bit? Is that what this is all about? I think I'm pretty much doomed anyways.

Do you interact with other drivers? What do you do when someone rolls up next to you in the car and smiles? Are you attracted when someone yells at you from the next car? I can't be alone in this... can I?

No comments: