Thursday, October 07, 2004

so i don't know what it is about asian adults and their need to be so frank with other asian people. i mean.. my parents always say a lot of crap, but my mom always spews some crap like "oh it's because i love you... i'll tell you the truth like your friends won't." with that said...

yesterday went to the last tech before we open tomorrow. i went straight from work so that i could be "early" but traffic and trying to find parking made sure that i wasn't too early. i got there and checked in and decided to get some stuff to eat. so i went to the pizza place because the chicken place was closed for some reason and got other people food as well. then i stopped into this store that has snacks and weird "hollywood" souvenirs for tourists and junk. it's run by this korean couple and today the korean man was there. i walk in carrying two small boxes of pizza and a bag. and i ask him if i can set it on the counter while i get some drinks. and he makes some conversation...

korean man: "are you chinese?"
me: "yes"
korean man: "you're very beautiful"

or at least that's what i thought he said.. i wouldn't second guess my hearing except for what he said after that.

me: (laughs) "oh thanks"
korean man: "how old are you?"
me: a little creeped hoping he doesn't ask me out or something "twenty two"
korean man: "ahh.. only twenty two?"
me: courtesy laugh.. "yes"
korean man: "you need more diet" (making large hand gestures demonstrating my obesity)
me: *blink* *pause*.. another courtesy laugh.

what the heck was i supposed to say? i mean.. i guess i supposed i could say "you're right" or "i know" or "shove it asshole" .. but i had no idea. like he made me feel good with that first compliment and then just shot it down like it was open season on my self-esteem. did he think that all those pizza boxes and bags of food and two drinks were all for me? or is that just how older asian people are with the "younger generation." i know my mom's friends used to say stuff like that to my sister and she would be really upset, but never complete strangers. and it's not like he was trying to be mean... i'm sure he fully expects me to come into his store again tonight.. he asked me where i lived, if i was a visitor.. or whatever. or maybe he felt he could be that frank since he'd never see me again. i should go in there every thursday from now on... who knows. it's a little embarassing telling you all this, but it's also a little funny as well. so have a laugh at my expense.

No comments: