Wednesday, December 15, 2004

soo.. i gotta type fast since i'm on my aunt's computer and she's going to leave to go catch a train pretty soon. it's 8am-ish in california so most of my friends are probably still asleep or at work or .. i dunno.. just not on aim. anyways..

i am so full.. i had like 5 lunches and 3 dinners.. and sure maybe i should have stopped. but i was just sitting there listening to all my relatives talk.. so i had nothing to do but eat. sounds like a dumb excuse.. but oh well... i guess i walked it off going shopping tonight. i don't feel really bloated and awful right now so hey.. it's okay! oh i had 2 breakfasts too. hahah.. i guess it makes up for the non-eating i've been doing when i've had to eat vegetarian for the past few days. blech. give me meat.

so.. the funeral was alright. very traditional.. but seemingly odd in a sort of way. there was a small marching band with drums and saxaphones and a drum majorette kind of deal. and there was a sermon leader/MC kind of guy leading all the bowing and what not.. which i guess was not so odd (kind of like a pastor yea?). i didn't really get to participate because i guess the day they had it on there was a conflict with people born in year of the chicken, which is me.. so i wore the all white garb, but wasn't in the part with the rest of the family, didn't go to the viewing, and after the ceremony when they were transporting my grandfather's body to the car that (which were accompanied by 3 other trucks that were all decorated like rose floats) i had to go upstairs because i wasn't allowed to watch it. and i wasn't allowed to go the cemetary when he was being buried either. (yea.. even with my fear of cemetaries i actually did want to go.) bad luck omens for me everywhere. and i'm sure when i fell on the unlevel pavement my relatives were sure that it was a sign. thus it seemed very unpurposeful for me to be here. especially since i wasn't super close to him, but i thought being with my relatives would help me. maybe i'm not even supposed to be writing about it.. so i'll stop now. but.. it was i guess interesting to see the traditions and customs. kind of like seeing all the hoopla for my sister's grandeur wedding. so i became the photographer and took pictures. oh and one more thing.. that my family had to wear these different things.. boys were different things, and girls mostly wore the same thing.... which included pointy hats with a shawl type thing. it almost looked like the kkk except there was some color/design on the point. include that with the swastika symbols on the "money" being burned for as an offering and it's quite interesting. it's funny how the same thing can be so opposite in different cultures.

i guess i write about it so i can remember it when i come and read it months later. not that i won't.. but so i can better remember details. because i'm a nerd like that. :P yes.. i come back and read my own blog. isn't that what it's for? this morning i went shopping with my cousin and my dad to the day market (after eating breakfast #2) and bought tons of stuff, for myself and for presents. stayed in in the afternoon and listened to my mom and her relatives discuss "issues" about my grandfather's possessions i guess. i couldn't really understand it. but there's a stepmother involved.. and what seems to me like some shady business. i don't really know, and i don't want to believe all the stories about "wicked step-families" but sometimes i just wonder how people can be so... deceitful and uncaring. you know my step-grandma is only like 6 or so years older than my mom? i think.. but definitely not that much older... i would die if my dad married some 30 year old. *barf* but my step-cousin is cool. after they finished discussing (while my cousin and i were at the "hi-life" (like 7-11)) we went out to dinner and while they were drinking and talking as adults allllways drag on doing we went shopping at the night market.. i blew some more cash (my sister is right.. it just seems like play money!) and we played with these awesome sticker picture machines and then bought some meat innards on a stick off this street cart. yum :)

i feel tons better! yay for tons of sleep!! although i had to share rooms with my dad and he snores like no other. i'd wake up at least 4 times a night and not be able to get back to sleep for awhile. ack. done with the sickness. except now i have like a gazillion bug bites all over. even on my forehead. and i'm like putting on this medicine that smells AWFUL. i'm probably going to head back to taipei tomorrow or the next day. my dad is anxious to get back.. i think he's bored. but my mom still has stuff to take care of and things to clean through so i'm not sure if i should accompany her?

anyhoo.. i should get going. minutes minutes minutes.. and my aunt is going to catch her train soon. i should probably get to bed too.. miss everyone tons!!

No comments: