Thursday, June 23, 2005

the donating blood ordeal is done. yes.. ordeal. and it wasn't even the whole me being scared of needles... but it was pain-ful.

so i seriously thought it was going to take 15 minutes.. that's what i was told.. no.. it takes over 1 hour.. and for me.. it took like 1.5 almost. i show up, fill out a bunch of paperwork and get freaked out by watching other people. i seriously almost started hyperventilating. the check in nurse even said that she could tell from my blood pressure that i was nervous, but forutnately not too nervous that i couldn't donate. fortunate for her i guess.

they tested my iron levels... pricking my finger. that stung a little bit too. i am such a wuss. finally got to the donating blood part (after everyone else who had started at the same time or a little after me).. and sitting in the chair.. i was so anxious. SO anxious. squirming and squeaming like a little girl.. having everyone laugh at me... haha.. so the girl finally gets the needle (which is so huge and thick by the way!) in my left arm.. and it hurts so bad. she tells me its at a funny angle and wants to fix it, but i tell her no.. and if she HAS to.. and but she says it's okay.. until she tells me it starts bruising. apparently (or so she tells me) that in my anxiety.. when i'm squeezing the hand stress ball that i'm supposed to squeeze every 5 or 10 seconds... that i squeezed (squoze?) too hard and moved the needle and knicked my vein and it was leaking into my arm. great.. that's just what i wanted to hear.

so she takes it out (pain) and i have to get back to work, but she tells me that once they start they can't really stop. and i didn't sit through all that over crap just to not do it.. so i say it's okay to make do with the other arm. they prep my right arm, and shove the horse size needle in. ugh.. more pain. it hurts so much more worse than the other one.. this dull stinging but still sharp pain. i can't even squeeze the stress ball this time because it hurts so bad, and it feels like my entire arm is numb. at one point the blood stops flowing (what?!! i know..) and because i'm not squeezing the stress ball to keep the blood circulating the lady has to put heat packs on my arm to keep my blood flowing. finally i am done.. i get my juice and cookies and the lady loads me up with ice packs just in case i am sore (which i totally am) and i have to get back to work despite them telling me i need to rest.

i felt really sick earlier.. probably because i didn't get a chance to eat. i grabbed a sandwich and felt a little better... now i'm getting really tired.. a little groggy/light headed. do i need to eat more? i've been drinking water.. but it makes me have to go pee a lot, and then i can't always just get up and go.. so that makes me feel queasy as well. i think the chances of me getting out of scorekeeping tonight are pretty slim.. so.. yea. that sucks too.

hope i don't pass out while driving home. 31 more minutes.

No comments: